“We continue to receive tremendously positive feedback from the community about the availability of Durand Eastman Beach and the ‘Cool Sweep’ effort” said Mayor Duffy. “The beach has welcomed more than 10,000 visitors since it opened at the end of May. It is a vital asset for the entire region and we are thrilled to continue making it a safe, fun and enjoyable destination for residents, visitors and their families.”
The beach will operate seven-days-a-week, Mon., June 30 through Tues., Sept. 2. For information on beach closings, residents may contact the Monroe County Beach Hotline at 753-5887. General information on swimming lessons and beach operations and policies is available by calling 509-8543.
“I want to thank my team at City Hall for their hard work keeping our residents safe and cool all summer long,” said Mayor Duffy. “This innovative program has helped bring relief to our neighborhoods throughout the summer for the past two years. I’m proud to bring it back.”
When the temperature exceeds 85 degrees, the City’s "Cool Sweep" program will run Mon. - Sat., from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. through Sept. 2, at a minimum of six locations. The sites will be monitored by Recreation and Environmental Services staff and Fire Department personnel. The Rochester Police Department will also patrol the areas.
The locations are:
• Edgerton Community Center parking lot, 41 Backus St.
• Gardiner Recreation Center, 75 Grover St.
• Baden Park on Vienna St.
• North Street Community Center playground, 700 North St.
• #41 School parking lot, 279 Ridge Rd. W.
• #22 School parking lot, 27 Zimbrich St.
• #7 School, 31 Bryan St. (on a variable basis)
During times of extreme heat, the Rochester Fire Department may dispatch additional apparatus to various neighborhoods to spray water using diffusers, depending on staff availability.
The City also maintains indoor and outdoor pool facilities and spray parks and may extend their hours of operation depending on weather conditions at the following locations:
• Genesee Valley Park Pool, 131 Elmwood Ave., 428-7888
• Adams Street Community Center Pool, 85 Adams St., 428-7456
• Avenue D Community Center Pool, 200 Ave. D, 428-7934
• Flint St. Community Center Pool, 271 Flint St., 428-7001
• Carter St. Community Center Spray Park, 500 Carter St., 428-7890
• Humboldt Community Center Spray Park,, 1045 Atlantic Ave., 428-7294
• Fourth and Peck Playground Spray Park,, Corner of Fourth and Peck Sts.
• Manhattan Square Park Spray Park,, 25 Manhattan Square Drive, 428-7888
When temperatures exceed 90 degrees, four branches of the Rochester Public Library will be made available for extended hours to provide a comfortable, air conditioned environment for our senior citizens and persons with special needs.
The following library locations will stay open until 9 p.m. on weekdays and from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. on Saturdays:
• Lincoln Branch, 851 Joseph Ave., 428-8210
• Maplewood Branch, 1111 Dewey Ave., 428-8220
• Arnett Branch, 310 Arnett Blvd., 428-8214
• Winton Branch, 611 Winton Rd. North, 428-8204